Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Daily Conundrum

It is currently 6:01 Mountain Standard Time and I am “typing” a blog post lying on my back, in my black and white polka dot pajamas, in my bed, next to my sleeping husband, while my teenage children bustle about the kitchen eating cold cereal and preparing school lunches.

I am using my phone. This cannot be good for my eyes, or my hands, or my neck, but I have been meaning to write a blog post for months...quite possibly years. Amazingly I remembered my Blog user password. Do I get a point? Yes. I will give myself an honorary point for that. (Yay! I got a point!)

I should be at the gym... (I have a dream to run a marathon...in the mountains...with bare feet...while sucking on chia seed gel.)

I should be helping my kids get a real breakfast... (Once upon a time I was a decent sort of mother who baked fresh whole grain muffins and cooked scrambled eggs for my children before they went off to learn all the importance things.)

I should be planning out my day and my healthy food plan... (All the experts say you need a meal plan or you’ll just eat whatever is convenient. Making vegetables convenient takes way too long.)

I should be writing in my journal and saying a morning prayer... (My children’s children will thank me. Also, I need God’s help.)

I figure I have about an hour and a half before my day with kids begins and insanity takes over. Lately I’ve been prioritizing exercise for that time slot. (I can now jog a whole half-mile... I’ll be old and gray before my marathon dreams comes true...oh, wait...I’m already old and gray. Haha. Jokes on me.) Today, however, I decided to read a couple chapters in the scriptures and listen to a general conference talk...and write a blog post.

Can I exercise later? I hope so. This body is is a study in painful joints, flabby cheeks (top and bottom), and dimpled elbows. In other words, I NEED to exercise. (Even if I never get to barefoot marathon status.)

But I also need to do all of the other things and in my over stimulated brain I feel like I need each of those things to start my day off right.

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!

Usually, this thought pattern is immobilizing. This morning, though, I chose something. Maybe I chose right? I don’t know, but I guess it’s going to be okay...dimpled elbows and all.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Your words express many of my thoughts.

Erica Miles said...

Yay!!! I will give myself another honorary point for getting a comment posted on my blog. Two points!!!

And thanks, Liz. ❤️ The older I get the more I realize that people are mostly the same, we just don’t know it.