Friday, November 5, 2010

Who Is A Maker?

I make stuff ... a lot of different kind of stuff.  Edible stuff, pretty stuff, useless stuff, ... stuff.  Some would say that I have "talent".  Okay, so I have talent.  Doesn't everybody have talent?  I think YES!  There are people who will disagree with me, usually people who have decided for themselves that THEY have no talent, but I will disagree with them.

As children we are (usually) given opportunities to try our hands at many different kinds of things - bike riding, finger painting, writing, sandwich making, bed making, etc. - and when we make an effort to try something usually someone (sometimes ourselves) tells us what they think of if.  "Jimmy, that's fabulous!  You'll be an amazing artist someday."  Or how about this, "why can't you just color nicer like Sasha?  See how she is choosing pretty colors and staying inside the lines?" Okay, now Bobby (Sasha's counterpart) knows in his little mind that his coloring is ugly and that he's no good at it but Sasha is.    That, my fellow thinkers, begins a life of "I can't draw," or "I'm not good at this" or that, or whatever.  His fate is being decided at age 5.

As an adult is it too late for us to find and improve our talents?  I give you a resounding, NO!  If there is something that interests you, even if you've believed for your whole life that you cannot do it because once someone said something or didn't say anything, start trying it again.  You'll discover something marvelous if you do.  You've got gifts and pursuing your dreams, no matter how insignificant they may seem to others, will make you happier and better able to positively influence those around you. 

Make yourself a "maker" by making someone laugh, by improving your ability to juggle, by learning the art of baking, by learning cartooning, by learning to play the piano, by learning to bowl or make a bowl.  Be a maker and make yourself amazing.

No comments: